Island, Nunavut, Canada
- Continue analysis of low-temperature motor performance
- Install solar panels and measure performance
- Plan initial sun-synchronous routes in Von Braun Planitia
Status and Progress
- Weather conditions in early afternoon allowed experimentation
solar panels. Terrain conditions in Von Braun Planitia are improving
with dry areas on the hilltops and snow and mud in the drainages
reducing. Weather forecast is for clouds to break and drying
tomorrow and sun on Wednesday.
- Scouted eastern Von Braun Planitia (VBP). We completed scouting
VBP and identified traverseable regions for initial testing.
Identifying an appropriate test area has been challenging due
limitations imposed by the many streams that are still draining
- Operated Hyperion with solar panels. We measured power input
conditions of partial cloud cover (80%) and rain. The combination
low-angle sunlight with rain and clouds made for marginal power
Hyperion did perform well, traversing moderately rough terrain
5-10kph winds in its fully operation configuration.
- Testing sun-synchronous mission planner. Given an initial
we have begun planning sun-synchronous routes. We immediately
that an implementation of capability to applying a predictive
solar power dramatically slowed the planner. An optimization
development and a simplified model is now functional.
- Checked out performance of roll and pitch sensing and confirmed
functionality of the Health Monitor to detect unsafe conditions.
- Distance driven in field experimentation to date 1408m.
- Plan route for initial sun-synchronous experiment in Von Braun
- Move Hyperion to Von Braun Planitia
Early: Overcast. 5C. Intermittent rain. Winds 5-10kph.
Late: Clearing then dense fog. 3C. Winds 5kph.
Quote of the Day
"I'm concerned about zombification."