Island, Nunavut, Canada
- Convert digital elevation map (DEM) to correct geodetic datum
- Test current limits on motor amplifiers
- Verify tuned values on laser scanner
- Verify stereo perception system tuning and autonomous navigation
- Continue testing of the perception and navigation system
- Install panoramic camera
- Plan initial sun-synchronous routes in Von Braun Planitia
Status and Progress
- Weather improved today for brief periods allowing about two
robot operation. Von Braun Planitia remains too muddy for
experimentation. Weather forecast is for clouds to break and
begin by Tuesday evening, however the temperature is expected
- Final team member, Red Whittaker, arrived in camp after an
- Tested current limits on amplifiers. After some difficulty
high torques we raised the peak torque limits in the motor amplifiers.
The previous setting placed the peak torque equal the continuous
at a level 50% below the maximum. The maximum peak torque is
now set to
the drivetrain rating for repeated peak. Performance appears
improved (less current limiting and only a few instances of
disabling--all re-enabled automatically) but the results are
inconclusive because this coincided with higher ambient temperatures.
- Tested laser and verified that settings detect obstacles (true
positive) with a minimum of false positives.
- Tested new Galil code to handle motor off (stall) conditions
enable four-wheel drive in reverse.
- Analyzed state estimator performance to determine that GPS
60% of the time, heading information was continuous 100% of
and odometry updating compensated for any dropouts.
- Developed new capability for the navigator to dramatically
vehicle speed (2cm/sec) to begin sun-synchronous experiments
limited available operating area
- Distance driven in the experimentation to date 875m (yesterday's
- Continue analysis of low-temperature motor performance
- Install solar panels and measure performance
- Move Hyperion to Von Braun Planitia to continue testing and
Early: Thin overcast. 8C. Winds 5-10kph peaking at 20kph.
Late: Overcast. 4C. Rain. Winds 5kph.
Quote of the Day
"We need to have a debatum about the geodetic datum."