Island, Nunavut, Canada
- Continue testing of the perception and navigation system
- Install panoramic camera
Status and Progress
- Weather improved today for brief periods allowing some testing
perception and navigation systems. High winds in early evening
an end to testing. Von Braun Planitia remains too muddy to begin
- Installed panoramic camera to enable safeguarded teleoperation.
Panoramic images looked good with sufficient resolution and
see the terrain around Hyperion. A problem remains with grabbing
off the firewire bus. The device driver does not use direct
access and occasionally losses correct framing of the images
and must be
restarted. Otherwise display of images is clear and the ability
teleoperate is working.
- Tuned stereo perception system. Hyperion is able to perceive
the terrain and detect rocks too large to surmount. The navigation
system checked out and is working well.
- Analyzed power data. Hyperion is using twice the power to
was measured in testing prior to the field experiment. Performance
improves somewhat as the motors are driven. The problem is likely
attributable to low temperatures (5C versus 25C).
- Continuing to analyze terrainability problems. Motor current
(high torque) faults are occurring with greater frequency. This
likely also related to low operating temperatures. This is causing
difficulty in surmounting obstacles in the terrain. We continue
investigate the cause in software for the faults and will increase
maximum motor torque which is currently set with considerable
the motors and harmonic drivetrains.
- Continue analysis of low-temperature motor performance
- Install solar panels and measure performance
- Plan sun-synchronous routes in Von Braun Planitia
- Move Hyperion to Von Braun Planitia to continue testing and
Early: Overcast. 6C. Winds 30kph with gusts to 50kph.
Late: Overcast. 4C. Rain. Winds 10-20kph.
Quote of the Day
"It's something about wearing a hat all the time that makes
you a little crazy."