(best viewed in Firefox)
Add Yourself to the Atacama Mailing List
April 6, 2003
Salar Grande, Atacama Desert, Chile
- Locate sites for rover experiments in western Salar
- Establish base camp (delayed)
Status and Progress
- Explored eastern salar in an extensive traverse to locate area for long-distance
rover navigation experiments and to find a diverse selection of terrains. This
expedition involved a fair bit of single track navigation and some deep sand
with only minimal excitement. (The team did have to outrun a mining camp dog
who was clocked at 40kph.)
- Conducted several communication tests at greater than 8km to establish communication
with Pampa Nevada site.
- Collected ground control points to the east and south to obtain larger distribution
for digital elevation model (DEM) that will be generated from satellite data
(from the ASTER instrument).
- Began construction of frame to transport Hyperion on 4x4 truck. The frame was
dubbed the "chariot del fuego" as Hyperion is the greek Titan of the sun.
- Scout western side of salar and obtain last ground control points
- Establish base camp
[Weather station not yet online]
Morning: Clear, Dew (damp soil, condensation on crates and vehicles), Low 8C,
Afternoon: Hazy, High 25C, Wind 20-40kph.
Evening: Clear, 20C, Wind 10-15kph.
Quote of the Day
"This is KB3-Finch on the air."